Energy Savings Opportunities Scheme (ESOS)
If you are obligated to complete an ESOS compliance assessment, you should have at least got your lead assessor appointed and have started thinking about the assessment by now.
Depending on the size and complexity of your organisation the assessment may vary from a couple of weeks to several months and never underestimate the amount of data that has to be trawled through in order to complete the verification exercise. From experience we have indicated below some of the pitfalls that can hinder smooth progression of an assessment.
- Lack of consistent data over the reference period i.e. gaps in energy bills/usage
- No consistent collating of data
- Lack of clarity of where the data resides in the organisation
- Data gathered in inconsistent units or format
- Lack of awareness about the extent of business activities
- Information available in .pdf formats for bills only
Whilst the process of completing an ESOS assessment is straightforward i.e. “the what to do” – the information gathering in order to complete the process appears to be the main stumbling block and should not be underestimated.
If you are still thinking of appointing an ESOS lead assessor, please contact us in order to start the process rolling.
December the 5th 2015 (the compliance deadline) may still seem a while away, however the data gathering, verification, site surveys, Â cost benefits analysis and report writing can take several months and that is if all the information is collated together in a neat package – from our experience with several companies that is not always the case!